Invision Outdoors

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Invision Outdoors

A hunting community to help us learn from one another

+4
Tami Willmann
I.O. Eric
G3
I.O. Jess
8 posters

Any Anglers out there?

I.O. Jess
    I.O. Jess
    12 Point

Any Anglers out there? Empty Any Anglers out there?

Post by I.O. Jess Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:45 pm

I am buying my fishing license this week...going to get some fishing in! Almost went on the April 13th, but didn't get everything lined up in time. None the less, a bunch of my River Family (Campground friends) went and tore up some saugeye. Hopeing to get to go out next weekend. I am looking foward to some bass fishing soon!
    G3
    G3
    Admin

Any Anglers out there? Empty Re: Any Anglers out there?

Post by G3 Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am

fish for bass? y'all need to get up here where there are real fish to catch....bass and cat fish and crappies just dont do it for me.
    Any Anglers out there? IMG_0289-1
    Any Anglers out there? Aprilsteelhead
    Any Anglers out there? IMG_0761
    I.O. Eric
    I.O. Eric
    12 Point

Post by I.O. Eric Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 am

dang Tim...you sure are twisting my arm hard to get up that way !!! a must real soon for me
    Tami Willmann
    Tami Willmann

Post by Tami Willmann Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Gorgeous fish, Tim!!
    Tami Willmann
    Tami Willmann

Post by Tami Willmann Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm

I've been getting in a little fishing--not much catching, tho! Most of our lakes don't open til for another couple of weeks...and we'll be there, on opening day, with bells on!! Can hardly wait!
    I.O. Jess
    I.O. Jess
    12 Point

Post by I.O. Jess Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Geez Tim!! Lol...we don't have the biggest variety in the world to fish for here in southern Ohio, but if I am catching ANYTHING I am happy! I layed the smack down last year on my friend Donnie bass fishing...lol. None were big but hey quantity. Wink
    I.O. KyleDew
    I.O. KyleDew
    10 Point

Post by I.O. KyleDew Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 am

I think im gonna head out and do some fishing this weekend. Going to a farm pond with a few buds. We have caught some really nice catfish and bass there last year. Hope there bitting!
    I.O. Jess
    I.O. Jess
    12 Point

Post by I.O. Jess Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 am

Good Luck Kyle!! I am hoping I can do some saugeye fishing down on the Ohio River!
    I.O. DARREN DEW
    I.O. DARREN DEW
    8 Poimt

Post by I.O. DARREN DEW Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Nice fish there Tim, I am getting ready to do some camping. And I have the poles a loading in it, I am definelty going to do some fishing.
    Bowhuntress
    Bowhuntress
    8 Poimt

Post by Bowhuntress Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Nice pics!! I think I will share a few!! Smile
    Bowhuntress
    Bowhuntress
    8 Poimt

Post by Bowhuntress Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Any Anglers out there? A>
    Bowhuntress
    Bowhuntress
    8 Poimt

Post by Bowhuntress Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:38 pm

[url=Any Anglers out there? 386639_10200331351470735_377205244_n]Any Anglers out there? 386639_10200331351470735_377205244_n[/url]

Last edited by Bowhuntress on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Any Anglers out there? Empty Fishing 2014

Post by IOSherryHolt Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 pm

Well we got our fishing license yesterday and tried a little fishing at the Reservoir no luck but it was a beautiful sunny day to be outdoors.
    I.O. Jess
    I.O. Jess
    12 Point

Post by I.O. Jess Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Glad you got out!! Not always about catching them, but enjoying being outdoors!
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Post by IOSherryHolt Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Hope we can get a few more of these this year!

Any Anglers out there? <a href=Any Anglers out there? 10556_535501893151791_1116274279_n" />Any Anglers out there? <a href=Any Anglers out there? 970214_532038396831474_1333236939_n" />
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Post by IOSherryHolt Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Weather Alters Ohio's Rainbow Trout Stocking Schedule
    3/12/2014 Division of Wildlife
    COLUMBUS, OH – Three planned rainbow trout stock dates scheduled for Thursday and Friday, March 13-14, have been postponed.

New Lexington Reservoir 1A in Perry County will now be stocked Tuesday, March 25.
    Rush Run Lake in Preble County will now be stocked Wednesday, March 26.
    Veterans Park Pond in Lake County will now be stocked Wednesday, March 26.

Forked Run Lake in Meigs County will be stocked as scheduled on Friday, March 14.

New Lexington Reservoir 1A was scheduled to receive trout on Thursday, March 13. Rush Run Lake and Veterans Park Pond were scheduled to receive trout on Friday, March 14.

Many Ohio lakes remain ice-covered, and shorelines have been impacted by recent heavy snow. These are unsafe conditions for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife to stock trout.

More than 98,000 rainbow trout will be released this spring at 63 Ohio public lakes and ponds. Additional information about trout releases is available online or by calling 800-WILDLIFE.

Many stocked locations will feature special angler events, including youth-only fishing, on the day of the scheduled trout release. Rainbow trout releases will take place across Ohio until May 16. Contact the nearest wildlife district office for specific information.

Rainbow trout are raised at state fish hatcheries and measure 10-13 inches before they are released by the division. The daily catch limit for inland lakes is five trout.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Post by IOSherryHolt Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:00 pm

http://www.fieldandstream.com/files/imagecache/photo-article/photo/23/8streamers.jpg

8 Early Spring Streamer Tactics

By Tim Romano

One of my favorite ways to fish for trout is by throwing streamers. I'm a total sucker for it. Whether that's out of a boat or walking down a bank, there's nothing quite like that big tug you get when fishing those bigger baitfish and leech patterns for trout. Heck, even if you aren't landing fish you at least get the satisfaction of the swipes, tugs and long follows. That's why utilizing a streamer might just be your best bet for some action early in the season. Typically the water is higher and colder, and less insects are hatching — making a streamer pattern an easy choice for its simplicity. Just don't fish it like you would in the middle of the summer or early fall. Here are eight tips that are sure to help improve your fishing with the big bugs this spring.

1. Slow down. When water temps are quite a bit colder from snowmelt and early season rain fish are less aggressive and won't move nearly as far to eat. Vary your retrieve speed and go much slower than you would later in the season.

2. Get Deep. At least deeper than you'd normally fish a streamer. Use a sinking-tip type line or very heavy bugs. This makes casting a bit harder, but will pay dividends in terms of getting your fly in front of more fish that are willing to take a look.

3. Fish upstream. Most of my casts are downstream when wade fishing or to the bank when fishing from a boat in the middle of the summer or fall with a streamer. In the spring you need to get your bugs down and fishing upstream is a great way to do this. Throw a quartering cast upstream, right after your fly hits the water give it a huge mend, which will let your bug get down to where the fish are. This will work with a sinking line or floating line.

4. Dead drift your bugs. I know, this runs counter to what you do most of the time with a streamer, but it can be deadly effective in the spring when fish are less apt to chase down a baitfish. Try this with a sinking line and a natural material leech pattern.

5. Use or tie streamers that utilize a ton of natural material like rabbit, marabou or peacock. Typically when fishing these flies slower this type of material gives a more realistic action and just moves more at slower speeds. Use streamers with heavy weight like tungsten heads or bodies too.

6. I might get hate mail for this one, but fishing two streamers in-line with each other is effective: I like to use something we call salt and pepper on my local rivers. Make sure one is a darker color and one is lighter, hence the name. This give you two advantages: one, you can use the lighter color to verify the location of your streamer and attract fish. Two, it give the fish options — if the fish doesn't like the darker pattern it might go for the lighter one or vice versa. Some of my friends/streamer fiends swear that you must tie a smaller pattern in front of a larger one — thus imaging a bigger fish chasing a smaller fish. I personally don't buy that and find it harder to throw, but if it gives you confidence go for it.

7. Always use fluorocarbon when throwing streamers. It's more abrasive resistant and sinks a bit better when throwing these types of flies. Many times in the spring the water is dirty and sizing up is a good option as you lose less fish and fewer expensive flies like streamers as underwater snags are more difficult to see. Yes, you might forgo a few fish because of the larger tippet, but if a fish is committed to a streamer it's probably going to eat it even if you have a bit larger tippet than normal.

8. Use a Non-slip Mono loop knot to tie on your streamer. It's a stronger knot and gives the fly a much more natural presentation when fished at slower speeds. It basically allows it to move more freely than if it was tied on with a simple clinch knot.
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Post by IOSherryHolt Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:57 am

Courtesy of Thermacell facebook page

So ready to catch a few of these ,but don't forget the Thermacell!

Any Anglers out there? <a href=Any Anglers out there? 17957412" />
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Post by IOSherryHolt Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:25 am

I.O. Jess
    I.O. Jess
    12 Point

Post by I.O. Jess Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:34 pm

That is some great info Sherry! Thanks for sharing it!
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Post by IOSherryHolt Fri May 09, 2014 4:39 am

4 common fishing errors

Share This:

http://fishing.boyslife.org/4-common-fishing-errors/

Fishing is fun, but I sure like catching a whole lot more. Avoid these common pitfalls, and your odds of success will go way up.

fishing-900TOO FAST OR TOO SLOW: Fishing too long in a spot with no fish is a perfect recipe for a slow day. So is making only a couple of casts in an area with a huge school. In general, I cover a lot of water by fishing with moving baits (like crankbaits, topwaters, swimbaits or spinnerbaits) until I get a bite. Once I get a fish or two in an area, I slow down and work it with slower baits on the bottom, like jigs or soft plastics. Camp there until the action stops, then get moving again to find the next group.

FISHING YOUR FAVORITES: Your mother and your friends might care what you like, but the fish don’t. We all have our favorite baits. Try to think of your lures as tools. You wouldn’t try to eat a bowl of soup with a knife, even if it was your favorite utensil. Just like a spoon works best for soup, different lures work better or worse on different days. There’s no harm in starting with your favorite bait, but if it isn’t working, experiment with others until you find what the fish’s favorite is today.

FISHING IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE: With a few exceptions, fish generally hang out by cover or near a bottom change. The “somewhere” can be a weed bed, a rock pile, a quick dropoff, where the bottom changes from rock to sand, near a dock, or dozens of other places. The next time you fish, whether from a boat or shore, try to make sure you’re always casting to an area that has “something” for a fish to want to be there.

TOO BIG: Great big baits are perfect for big fish when they are really aggressive. Unfortunately, most days the fishing is slow to just OK, and smaller baits work much better in this case. Smaller baits are less threatening to fish, plus they aren’t as obviously fake as a bigger bait. Even with live bait, small hooks miss way less fish than big ones. If you aren’t getting any bites on your lure or if the fish keep stealing your bait … time to downsize.

You can also follow Tom’s fishing tips and updates at www.facebook.com/tomredingtonfishing and www.twitter.com/Tom_Redington.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 am