Invision Outdoors

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Invision Outdoors

A hunting community to help us learn from one another

Tick season is coming ! Great tick repellent !

IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Tick season is coming ! Great tick repellent ! Empty Tick season is coming ! Great tick repellent !

Post by IOSherryHolt Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:54 am

I have some useful information for all those outdoors people out there . Last year ticks were awful we couldn't walk more then 5 ft. without having to pull about 10 ticks off of us . I went online looking for herbal remedies because i can't use alot of the chemical repellents and some of the herbal ones we had just were not keeping the ticks off . I found a miracle repellent, Peppermint oil i just take some pure peppermint oil and rub on boots ,socks and so far up my legs and pants and around my waist band and collar . After i starting using this i had only found one or two ticks on me and separate times and it was just on top of my hat not actually attached or in my clothes or hair .If it is too strong for some of you it can be diluted with white vinegar .
     If anyone else has used this or any other herbal remedies feel free to share with us .
    IOSherryHolt
    IOSherryHolt
    10 Point

Tick season is coming ! Great tick repellent ! Empty Re: Tick season is coming ! Great tick repellent !

Post by IOSherryHolt Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:59 pm

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/blogs/locavore-blog/locavore-blog-protecting-ticks?et_mid=666746&rid=237813385

Locavore Blog: A Solution to Deer Tick Worries
    By: Kristen Schmitt | March 26, 2014

One of the main differences between city life and country life is the abundance of time I now spend outside. In the winter, we’re outside cross country skiing and ice skating, building snowmen, and restocking our woodpile (free heat courtesy of hard work).

Kristen Schmitt Property
    Maple makes great heat!

This year, we are all eager for sunshine and green grass after such a long winter. We have several fun projects to get started on – setting up a chicken coop and raising chickens, establishing a big garden (though not so big as to completely overwhelm us!), training our new puppy (a Chesapeake Bay Retriever), and setting up an outside archery range for some practice shooting (our plans for an inside basement range were thwarted by time and space).

How to repel deer ticks

Ticks: Definitely Not a Hunter’s Friend

Unfortunately, Vermont is a tick haven. While Michigan most likely has them, ticks were not prevalent in the area where we lived so I didn’t have to think about them whenever we were outside. Vermont, on the other hand, has four varieties:

American Dog tick
    Deer Tick
    Lone Star Tick
    Woodchuck Tick
    With the presence of ticks comes the increased likelihood of tick-related diseases like Lyme disease, babesiosis, ehrlichiosis, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. The Lone Star tick has been linked to a red meat allergy, which I’m sure many hunters would prefer not to get. Centers for Disease control had more than 22,500 confirmed and 7,500 probable cases of Lyme disease in 2010 and it’s officially the most commonly reported tick-borne disease in the United States. All of this information creates a sense of uneasiness in me as I plan to sit for hours in a ground blind or tree stand or walk through the woods or fields surrounding our property during hunting season and throughout the spring and summer leading up to it as I figure out where I plan to hunt on our property.

Solution? Gamehide’s New ElimiTick Clothing Line

ElimiTick clothing by Gamehide is the first ever EPA-registered insect repellent clothing that is geared towards repelling ticks as well as mosquitoes, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges (no-see-ums). The Insect Shield repellent products have received the EPA’s most favorable rating and are deemed safe for use by children of all ages.

ElimiTick clothing utilizes Insect Shield Repellent Technology to bond a man-made version of a natural repellent to fabric fibers. The active ingredient is so tightly bonded that repellency effectiveness is retained throughout the expected life of the garment. Because Insect Shield bonds the repellent to the fabric fibers, the consumer is supposed to get much more complete coverage and, therefore, more effective repellency. And, because the repellent is built into the fibers, it is supposed to last through 70 washings, the expected life of the garment.

I’m told the repellent in an ElimiTick garment is bonded to the fabric fibers and is odorless and invisible. I’ll let you know how well it works – I’m definitely happy to have some sort of protection between me and those ambitious ticks.

Kristen Schmitt ElimiTick
    ElimiTick clothing features a bonded repellent that keeps ticks off of you. (photo by Jason Schmitt)

— Kristen Schmitt’s introduction to archery blog appears weekly here at deeranddeerhunting.com.

- See more at: http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/blogs/locavore-blog/locavore-blog-protecting-ticks?et_mid=666746&rid=237813385#sthash.oPFhxxrV.dpuf

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:48 pm